100 Things to Do In and Around San Francisco

Last week, I had lunch with my friend, Hideki, and he mentioned that he’d recently put together a list of “things to do in and around San Francisco”. Hideki and his wife live in San Francisco so this list started as things they want to do, or things they tell their friends to do when they visit. What started as 50+ ideas from Hideki, has grown to 100 with some additions from Kevin and I. It’s a perfect list to share with friends who are planning a trip to San Francisco, but I also love the idea of keeping this list handy for those wide open weekends when we’re looking to play tourist ourselves.

100-things-to-do-in-san-francisco

14. Drive Down Lombard Street
  15. Ice Cream Sundae at Ghiradelli’s
  16. Shopping Spree in Union Square
  17. Vodka Tasting at Hangar One
  18. Union Street Festival
  19. See a Movie at Kabuki Theatre
  20. Bay to Breakers (in costume)
  21. Visit Safari West
  30. Palace of Fine Arts
  31. Beach Blanket Babylon
  32. Gilroy Outlets
  33. Oakland Warriors Game
  34. Pride Parade
  35. GoCar Tours
  36. Eat Dim Sum (here or here)
  37. Kayak in McCovey Cove
  51. See a Broadway Show
  52. Stern Grove Festival
  53. House of Air
  54. Movie in the Park
  55. Glass Elevator to the top of the Westin
  56. Tour Anchor Steam Brewing Company
  57. In-N-Out Burger (order off the secret menu)
  58. Attend a Castro Theatre Sing-a-Long
  59. DeYoung Museum
  60. Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon (watch or participate)
  61. See a Show at the Fillmore
  62. Eat SF’s Best Chicken Wings at Kezar Pub
  63. See the “Full House” Houses (aka “the Painted Ladies”)
  64. San Francisco Zoo
  90. Whale Watching
  91. Oakland Raiders Game
  92. SF MOMA
  93. Get (or watch someone get) a Tattoo on Haight Street
  94. Oakland A’s Game
  95. Volunteer at the SF Food Bank
  96. Shuck Oysters at Hog Island Oyster Co.
  97. Dip Your Toes into the Freezing Cold Pacific at Ocean Beach
  98. Black and White Ball
  99. BBQ on Angel Island
  100. Visit enough to know it’s not San Fran, “the” BART, or “the” MUNI
It’s impossible to fully capture all of the amazing things to do in this city, but it’s a start. Thanks for sharing, Hideki! So what else? What did we miss? What are some of your favorites?

Comments

1. Aaron Friedman says:

great list – sad that “Hardly Strictly Bluegrass” didn’t make the cut

2. Barbara says:

Hmmmmmmm. Many of the items on this list have NOTHNG to do with San Francisco. Gilroy is easily an hour away. So many great places in San Francisco were not mentioned only to have things like Oakland, Pebble Beach (1-1/2 hours away) spotlighted.

• Melissa says:

Hi Barbara…you’re right! 🙂 That’s why I titled the post things to do in “and around” San Francisco. It’s simply meant as a starting point for people looking to travel to San Francisco, with the possibility for some day trip adventures. Just thought it was a fun list to share…and certainly not meant to be exhaustive! Feel free to leave other suggestions in the comments if you have favorite sights or activities to share!

3. Jaime Kafader says:

Number 29. Sadly, Bush Man passed away this year. 🙁 But Fisherman’s Wharf is still a great place to wander around.

• Melissa says:

Hi Jaime…I was so sad to hear that news recently! He was such a fun addition to the Wharf. I need to get that updated, but I’m also sad to remove him. 🙁

• PurpleSushi says:

Actually, only one of the 2 Bushmen passed away – the other is still there.

4. Evesry weekend i used to pay a visit this website, for the reason thst i
    wish for enjoyment, since this this web site conations truly pleasant funny material too.

5. Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am
    a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; we have
    created some nice methods and we are looking to trade techniques
    with other folks, be sure to shooot me an e-mail if
    interested.

6. Hello, I read youyr new stuff like every week.
    Your story-telling style iis witty, keep it up!

7. I am really loving the theme/design of your website.
    Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues?
    A couple of my blog visitors have complained about my website
    not working correctly in Explorer but looks great
    in Safari. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?

8. An impressive share! I have just forwarded this ono a friend who was conducting a little hoomework on this.
    Andd he in fact ordered me breakfast simply because I stumbled uupon it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU forr the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks forr spending time to talk abkut tis issue here on your internet site.

9. Tremendous things here. I’m very glad to see your article.
    Thanks a lot and I am taking a look ahead to contact you.
    Will you kindly drop me a mail?

10. Erika says:

I would just like to say that I love your list! I’ve been to SF many times in the past and am extremely happy to have found your list of different things to do for my upcoming trip! Great job, thank you!! =]

11. Jana Carr says:

Great list! Makes me want to catch the first plane to our “favorite destination” asap! We have been there several times and the amazing energy gets better every time.. Thanks for posting your list…we will definitely be trying the things we haven’t done on future visits!

Jana Carr, St. Paul, MN

• Ich weiß nicht. Ich denke mittlerweile -und aus Erfahrung in anderen Zusammenhängen- das es vielleicht am zielführendsten wäre, dem groben Klotz einen mindestens genauso groben Keil entgegenzusetzen. Das ständige Hinnehmen, Ignorieren, ein bischen protestieren, beschwichtigen und die den Ãœhaelegrnbeitswehn bestätigende Apologetik bringt jedenfalls absolut gar nichts.

12. We stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might as well check things out.

I like what I seee so now i’m following you. Look forward to goong over your web page yeet
    again.

Trackbacks

1. […] you’re visiting SF for Alt Summit next week, a reminder of 100 awesome things to do while you’re in […]